You must know by now just how healthy pineapples are, but did you know that a large concentration of its nutrients is found in the peels? Yes, that’s right! In fact, you can make healthy drinks using this part of the pineapple that you most likely throw away.
Pineapple peels preserve all of the medicinal properties of the fruit, including fighting parasites, fluid retention, constipation and inflammation. So never throw away this part of the pineapple.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF PINEAPPLE PEELS
- Fights intestinal parasites
- Improves blood circulation and has anticoagulant properties
- It is a great diuretic that helps you get rid of excess fluids from your body
- Promotes good digestion thanks to its bromelain, an enzyme that improves the digestion process. It is an ideal dessert after eating meat or fish. On the other hand, we don’t recommend combining it in the same meal with carbohydrates (flour, pasta, potato, etc.)
- Improves intestinal functioning, constipation, and hemorrhoids
- Has anticarcinogenic properties
- Protects microbial flora in the colon
- A powerful and natural anti-inflammatory, which is great for muscle, throat, etc. inflammation.
- Accelerates healing of wounds that come from lesions or surgery
- Aides in weight loss and fight cellulite
- Besides the fruit having properties, pineapple skin is also a huge blood cleanser
BOILED PINEAPPLE SKIN DRINK BOILED PINEAPPLE SKIN DRINK
One of the easiest drinks with pineapple skin can be prepared in the following way:
- Wash the pineapple well and peel it.
- Cut the skin in very small pieces and boil them with approximately a liter of water for a medium or large pineapple.
- Boil on low heat covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then, let sit for another five minutes.
- Sweeten with honey or stevia.
- You can drink it hot, fresh made, or even cold.
FERMENTED PINEAPPLE SKIN DRINK
This other recipe, which is usually made in Central and South America, is not very complicated and you can serve it at a meal to surprise your guests. It is great to accompany meals with meat or fish because it will help you digest a lot better.
Also, because this drink is fermented, it has a large amount of probiotics, which improve your intestines’ health even more.
You will need a large pineapple or two medium sized ones that are mature. Wash them well and peel.
- Cut the skin in small pieces and put them in a glass or ceramic container that can be hermetically sealed. Also put two liters of water and 500 grams of brown sugar, cane sugar, or cane syrup in this container.
- Close it tightly and let sit in a room temperature place for 48 hours.
- After two days, strain it so there are no remnants. Add another liter of water and let sit again for 12 hours.
- After this time, add three quarts of a liter of water and the drink will be ready.
- Before serving it, we recommend cooling it down in the refrigerator.
- You can also store it in the freezer.
During the fermentation process, this drink will first make probiotic micro-organisms. If you leave it for longer, it will turn into an alcoholic beverage and then into vinegar.
You can give it some different flavor by adding orange or grapefruit skin, a cinnamon stick, or a clove to the container in addition to the pineapple skin.